Under general supervision, the professional nurse adheres to the American Nurses Association (ANA) standards of professional nursing and performance, and the ANA Code of Ethics to provide care to all healthcare consumers. Applies critical thinking, evidence-based practices and competence to collaborate with the health care team to promote excellence in healthcare consumer safety and quality outcomes. Utilizes the Theory of Human Caring and Caritas in daily practice. “Jean Watson, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, Founder / Director, Watson Caring Science Institute.”
This role is eligible for shift differential when the majority of the hours worked fall in a night, weekend or evening shift.
General Surgery is a fast-paced medical/surgical unit that sees high acuity patients from a variety of services including medical, surgical, OB/GYN, cardiac, neurology, rehabilitation and observation patients. 6A is a great environment for new graduate nurses to grow and learn beneficial clinical skills, and a perfect home for the experienced nurse. The nurse-to-patient ratio of 1:5. The CNA-to-patient ratio is 1:10, and all CNAs are cross trained as unit clerks. This is a great environment for critical thinking, problem solving and career advancement.
This role is eligible for the followings benefits:
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Paid Time Off
401(a) Retirement Plan with Employer Contributions
Adoption Assistant Program
RTD ECO Pass
• Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records
• Monitor, record and report symptoms and changes in patient’s condition and vital signs
• Develop and modify patient care plans as indicated by patient’s responses and conditions
• Modify patient treatment plans as indicated by patient’s responses and conditions
• Consult and coordinate with health care team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care
• Monitor all aspects of patient care, including diet and physical activity
• Direct and supervise less skilled nursing/health care personnel
• Prepare patients for, and assist with examinations and treatments
• Assess the needs of individuals, families and/or communities to identify potential health or safety problems
• Instruct individuals and families on health education and disease prevention and after care
• Administer nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent or disabled patients
• Medication administration, documentation and reassessment
• Promote positive patient experience
• Other job duties as assigned per unit addendum
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Adherence to Standards of Professional Nursing Practice/ Process / Performance [ANA Standards addendum- signed] and accrediting body standards.
• Ensures all duties, responsibilities and competencies are conducted in a manner that is effective and appropriate to patients/clients to who care/service is being provided.
• Demonstrates knowledge and applicability of the principles of growth and development over the life span, as well as demonstrating the ability to assess data reflecting the patient’s status and interpreting appropriate cultural information of the patient(s) to whom care/ services is being delivered/provided.
• Employee has completed and met their clinical competency standards
• Ability to use medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
• Skilled in maintaining effective working relationship with patients, employees, and the public.
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
• Ability to interpret adapt and apply guidelines and procedures
• Ability to communicate clearly
Computers and Technology
• Microsoft Office Suite required.
• EPIC documentation preferred.
Location Main Campus - Pavilion A
Work Type Full time
$30.53 - $45.87/hr
10% Acute Care Differential, apply to speak with a Recruiter to learn more
All job applicants for safety-sensitive positions must pass a pre-employment drug test, once a conditional offer of employment has been made.
Denver Health is an integrated, high-quality academic health care system considered a model for the nation that includes a Level I Trauma Center, a 555-bed acute care medical center, Denver’s 911 emergency medical response system, 10 family health centers, 18 school-based health centers, Rocky Mountain Poison and Safety, a Public Health department, an HMO and The Denver Health Foundation.
As Colorado’s primary, and essential, safety-net institution, Denver Health is a mission-driven organization that has provided billions in uncompensated care for the uninsured. Denver Health is viewed as an Anchor Institution for the community, focusing on hiring and purchasing locally as applicable, serving as a pillar for community needs, and caring for more than 185,000 individuals and 67,000 children a year.
Located near downtown Denver, Denver Health is just minutes away from many of the cultural and recreational activities Denver has to offer.
We strongly support diversity in the workforce and Denver Health is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Denver Health is committed to provide equal treatment and equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. As an EOE, Denver Health does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
• Associate's Degree (Required) Completion of an accredited nursing education program that is accredited and satisfies the licensing requirements of the Colorado State Board of Nursing for Registered Nurses. Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) preferred. Experience: At least one-year RN experience in a direct patient care setting required. • Bachelor's Degree
• Registered Nurse (Required) Active Registered Nurse (RN) License in the State of Colorado or a participating compact state. National board certification is a preference and encouraged for staff nurses. • Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) from American Heart Association (Required) American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider Certification/CPR. *Specialty certifications as required/recommended per unit. All Certifications and Licenses required for this job must be kept current as a condition of continued employment.
Take your career to the next level at Denver Health, where we offer a robust benefits package and endless opportunities for growth. Denver Health is a nationally-ranked, locally-trusted, premier healthcare institution located in the heart of Denver, Colorado.Twenty-five percent of all Denver residents, or approximately 150,000 individuals, receive their health care here. We are known as an integrated health care system that encompasses multidisciplinary academic specialties, a community health system, a level I adult trauma center, pediatric emergency and urgent care center home to Denver Public Health and many of the nation's leaders in medicine.Denver Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer At Denver Health we pride ourselves on our commitment to diversity. Equal opportunity is a fundamental principle of Denver Health. As an equal opportunity employer, Denver Health is committed to recruit, hire, promote and administer all human resource actions in a non-discriminatory manner. Denver Health is committed to providing equal opportunities in all business practices and to all persons regardless of age, race, color, national origin, genetic information, religion, sex, pregnancy, disab...ility, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status or veteran status (collectively “protected status”). Denver Health strives to maintain a work environment that is free from unlawful harassment and discrimination and will not tolerate any such conduct by employees or directed at employees within the scope of their employment. Read the full Human Resources Employee Principles and Practices policy.