Provide safety for clinical members during exercise sessions. Triage symptoms and vitals for members pre/during/post exercise sessions. Teach group fitness classes on land and pool. Assist with planning and implementing exercise programming. Provide personal training sessions to clients with a variety of goals and health histories.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Participate in screening individuals' medical histories and current Health status to identify major health risk factors; administer fitness testing procedures and counsel individuals regarding test results and us of exercise equipment, assist with fitness-related educational programs.
- Population usually low risk, even though risk factors exist. Entry level work with medical programs, scripts must be co-signed by level 3 Exercise Specialist, Exercise Physiologist or supervisor.
- Plan, coordinate and implement the development of exercise and related programs for a variety of special populations and clinical programs.
- Perform a wide variety of fitness assessments and/or non-invasive cardiopulmonary tests according to work site.
- Responsible for developing safe exercise prescriptions, goal setting and exercise progression for low, medium and high-risk patients.
- Able to teach variety of land and water based group exercise for low, medium and high risk clients as required by work site.
- Requires co-sign / oversight by Level 3 Exercise Specialist, Exercise Physiologist or supervisor.
- Responsible for all exercise requirements indicated in cardiac rehab state license, AACVPR national and ACSM guidelines as applicable to work site.
- Able to teach most/all offered land and water based group exercise for low, medium and high risk clients as required by work site.
- Recognizes symptom changes & signs of problems.
- Knows appropriate medical response / processes.
- Initiates first responder care.
- Active in program certification process and regulatory agency review as applicable to work site.
- Understands care management and interacts as patient advocate for appropriate referrals (non-physician) to other professionals or community services as indicated.
- Function as a Team Leader and performs charge responsibilities
Required Qualifications at this Level
Bachelor's degree in exercise science or related field required.
Level I: No previous experience required.
Level II: Minimum 1-year applicable experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
Level III: Minimum 2 yrs. applicable experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Level I: BLS certification
Level II: BLS; ACSM certification (must attain certification within 1 year of hire)
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.