Start the day excited to make a difference...end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.
The Respiratory Therapist (RT) is a respiratory care practitioner with assessment and therapeutic skills who can provide care to multiple patient populations. The RT will provide quality care, develop, and ensure patient plan of care collaboration with the multidisciplinary team including; physicians, registered nurses, and speech, occupational, and physical therapists. The RT is a professional member of the team and who can implement respiratory therapy independently.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provides competent and compassionate patient and family centered care based on respiratory processes and interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Administers and assess responses to respiratory therapeutic interventions with high proficiency and minimal to no supervision. (e.g., aerosol therapy, oxygen therapy, bronchodilator therapy, bronchopulmonary hygiene).
- Evaluates effects of respiratory therapy treatment plan by observing, noting, and evaluating patient's progress; recommends adjustments and modifications.
- Establishes and manages mechanical ventilation.
- Measures ventilator volumes, pressures, and blood gas analysis.
- Routinely develops or refines the ventilator care plan and communicates with the patient care team based on evidence and best practice.
- Communicates other pertinent information to/from healthcare team members consistent with MWHC standards.
- Maintains and ensures operation of equipment by setting up, cleaning, sterilizing, completing preventive maintenance requirements, troubleshooting malfunctions, and calling for repairs.
- Provides education and training to patients and family members.
- Ensures the safety of patients and Associates by adhering to hospital and departmental policies and protocols.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Licensed Respiratory Care Practitioner in good standing within the Commonwealth of Virginia required.
- Graduate of Respiratory Care program accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care preferred.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in respiratory therapy preferred.
- NRP healthcare provider, required within 90 days of hire date.
- Addendum for Associates designated as RT Applicants:
- Those practicing as an RT applicant must meet the requirements set forth by VA 54.1-2955 and must:
- Be a graduate of an accredited respiratory therapy education program within in the last six months
- This designation shall not be used beyond six months of graduation or by RT applicants that have received a failing score on any examination required by the Board for licensure.
- Work under the supervision of a Respiratory Therapist.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.