Location: United States,
Advanced Practice Registered Nurses / Physician Assistants
Cancer. Care. We Do Both.
Inova Schar Cancer Institute is a state-of-the-art cancer center in the Washington, DC metro area designed to bring healing and hope to every patient. Inova Schar gives patients unmatched logistical, clinical, and emotional support. Our team of nationally renowned doctors, specialists, surgeons, genetic counselors, nurses, and caregivers are backed by the latest in drug discovery, clinical trials, research and advanced treatments.
Together, we are dedicated to delivering the best quality cancer care, from diagnosis to survivorship.
The Interventional Pulmonology Advanced Practice Provider under general supervision and in accordance with APP standardized procedures/ protocol:
Evaluates and cares for interventional pulmonology and thoracic surgery/oncology patients. Counsels and educates patients and families and monitors patient progress from diagnosis to long term follow-up including close management of surgical/procedural patients. Responsible for ongoing clinical management of the patient during their visits but works in collaboration with the patient's referring provider as well as other members of the patient's care team to ensure optimal patient experience and outcomes.
- Ensure patient information, visit history, refer outs, lab follow-up, phone calls, and consults are carefully and completely documented in the electronic medical record.
- Conducts in-depth interviews with patients and/or family, constructs comprehensive medical histories, performs initial and periodic physical examinations, and explores patient's interpretation of health needs. Identifies and treats patients' diseases.
- Directly performs or orders appropriate diagnostic studies and procedures and interprets finished results.
- Instructs and counsels patients and families regarding preventive care, medical problems, psychological problems, and use of prescribed treatments and drugs.
- Writes orders to increase, decrease or change medication
- Identifies and records pertinent progress of patients, updating and summarizing charts, changing orders when appropriate and notifying the responsible physician of changes in the patient's condition.
- Educates/coaches fellow staff members including RNs and medical assistants
- Master's Degree
- Possession of current certificate of completion from a Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant program.
- Current and valid Virginia licenses.
- Valid, or ability to obtain, DEA
- 2 years Advanced Practice Oncology experience preferred