DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital in Oakland County is committed to outstanding customer service and medical care. This hospital features the Harris Birthing Center with all private birthing suites, the Charach Cancer Treatment Center (affiliated with the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center), cardiac services, and comprehensive inpatient and outpatient diagnostic care. For emergency services, obstetrics and ambulatory surgery, Huron Valley-Sinai consistently ranks among the top hospitals in the nation.
The OB Associate is a member of the patient care delivery team with primary responsibilities for technical, multi-skilled direct and indirect patient care activities. The OB Associate is assigned to work under the supervision of a registered nurse who delegate tasks based upon patient needs and OB Associate skills and abilities. The OB Associate will report all deviations from expected patient parameters to the registered nurse.
1. Collaborates and cooperates with care team members to ensure consistency and quality of care and promotes productive employee relations among staff members. Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to the philosophy and objective of continuous improvement; team work, and the mission, vision, and values of the DMS.
2. Performs a variety of basic patient care activities in OB under the direction of a registered nurse which may include, but are not limited to, performing designated respiratory procedures (e.g., cough and deep breathing exercises, tracheotomy care and pulse oximetry); maintenance functional activities (e.g., assisting in bed/chair repositioning); specimen collection; phlebotomy; dressing changes; performing ECGs; initiation, set-up, maintenance or discontinuation of peripheral IV lines; urinary catheterization; blood glucose monitoring; etc.
3. Assists the registered nurse by gathering data on patient conditions, direct patient observation, obtaining vital signs, recording oral intakes, monitoring input and output, weighing patients, recording/charting patient information and interacting with patient and family members. Reports information pertinent to condition and treatment of mother or baby to professional staff. Completes documentation in accordance with policy and procedures. Assists nursing personnel in responding to various emergency patient situations.
4. Performs surgical scrub using aseptic technique on all procedures appropriate to labor and delivery, assisting the physician and/or nurse as necessary during the procedure. Maintains an accurate count of sponges, needles and instruments; assumes responsibility with staff nurse for ensuring that all are accounted for. Maintains a clean OR by setting up and breaking down the OR; maintains instrument sets and equipment. Washes and sterilizes instruments; notified appropriate personnel of inadequate supplies or defective instruments/equipment. Assists with circulation duties in the OR during procedures.
5. Assists patients in activities of daily living by feeding, bathing, toileting and other personal hygiene regimes.
6. Assists in the training/orientation of other associates and care team members as directed.
7. Follows all departmental policies, procedures and objectives; continuous improvement initiatives; safety, environmental and infection control standards.
8. Demonstrates sensitivity to patient comfort and privacy and expresses interest in patient progress. Answers questions from patients and their families and explains procedures and processes within the scope of their training/abilities. Maintain confidentiality.
9. As required by unit needs, performs various support/services duties which may include, but are not limited to, ensuring adequate stock of patient care linens and other supplies; transporting patients, specimens and/or supplies; cleaning patient rooms, bathrooms and unit common areas; making beds; removing trash assisting patients with menu selection; passing and removing various pieces of equipment, etc.
10. As required by unit needs, performs various support/services duties which may include, but are not limited to, ensuring adequate stock of patient care linens and other supplies; transporting patients, specimens and/or supplies; cleaning patient rooms, bathroom and unit common area; making beds; removing trash assistant patients with menu selecting; passing and pick-up of trays, snacks, water, and other fluids; setting-up of trays, snacks, water, and other fluids; setting-up and removing various pieces of equipment, etc.
11. Enhances personal growth through participation in workshops, educational programs, in-service meetings, and reviewing current literature. Shares joint accountability (with the institution) for maintaining competencies.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. Completion of a two-year surgical technician training program or equivalent combination of training and experience. Or
3. Graduation from a school of practical nursing. Or Completion of:
a. Certified nurse assistant program or equivalent training; or
b. A respiratory therapy technician training program; or
c. A medical assistant program; or
d. An EMT program; or
e. A phlebotomy training program;
And six months direct patient care experience.
Primary Location: Commerce Township, Michigan
Facility: DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
Job Type: PT1
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.