Apprentice Patient Care Technician Full Time Days AdventHealth Sebring
Location Address:4200 Sun 'n Lake Boulevard Sebring, FL 33872
Top Reasons to Work at AdventHealth Sebring
Faith Based & Mission driven Facility
Largest Employer in the County
Surrounded by beautiful Lakes, Golf Courses and Florida’s oldest State Park
Close knit community with a home town family feel
2 hours to just about any beach on either Coast
Work Hours/Shift: Full Time Days
You Will Be Responsible For:
1. Completes Nursing assistant theory and laboratory classes as evidence by satisfactory performance on unit examination and skills competency check offs.
2. Assists in the patient/family care using established techniques with the multidisciplinary team during on-the-job training.
• Follows the ICARE in all patient and family interactions.
• Assists the patient with activities of daily living as ordered by the physician
• Distributes food trays to patients. Assists patient with tray preparation and feeding as required.
• Maintains the patient's environment in manner that promotes cleanliness, patient comfort and patient safety.
• Responds to patient call lights/bells, cares for the needs of the patient according to her/his skill level.
• Prepares the room to receive a new admission: zeros the bed scale, personal care items, linen, vital sign equipment, etc.
• Welcomes new admission, orients patient to room.
• Transfers patients from beds onto stretchers or beds or into wheelchairs with assistance of other patient care personnel when required.
• Ensures patient and personal safety by following proper lifting and patient transporting techniques.
• Provides patients with fresh water at established intervals
3. Documents personal care, intake and output, vital signs, POC glucose and weights as outlined in policy.
4. Performs patient care as delegated following hospital policies.
• Participates in the patient/family care, utilizing established techniques as part of the multidisciplinary team
• Incorporates principles of infection control, fire & safety, and biohazardous waste handling into daily routines.
• Maintains clinical competencies for patient population.
• Collects patient specimens (urine, stool, sputum), labels at bedside comparing two unique patient identifiers, and send to lab for analysis according to protocol and communicate to nurse.
• Promptly reports changes in patients’ status to the appropriate RN/LPN promptly.
• Recognizes emergency situations and acts appropriately.
1. Completes Phlebotomy theory and laboratory classes as evidence by satisfactory performance on unit examination and skills competency check offs.
2. Performs venipuncture for blood draw during the on-the-job training.
• Interacts with patients and family members in a considerate manner to help reduce anxiety and stress; strives to provide a positive experience with each patient encounter through ICARE
• Explains procedures to patients and answers questions in a positive and professional manner; instructs patients in the proper collection of certain non-blood specimens, explaining procedures while providing written instruction and allowing the patient to “teach back” where needed
• Is able to relate to patients AGE SPECIFICALLY, in a loving, kind, patient and respectful, and non-threatening way
• Is able to perform 6 to 8 venous collections per hour, in an acceptable manner, from a mixed patient population
• Notifies patient’s nurse and phlebotomy supervisor or technologist of missed collections as soon as possible to avoid confusion and delays
• Strives to provide rapid turnaround time for stat orders; sends samples to lab without delay
• Performs chain of custody drug screen collections
• Performs finger sticks and heel sticks
• Properly collects blood cultures without contamination
• Utilizes the computer to order tests, collect specimens, locates test results, and monitor pending
• Monitors pending logs (and emergency department grease board in hospital facilities) regularly to provide rapid turnaround time
• Prepares specimens for send-outs to reference laboratories; uses centrifuge and prepares aliquots using at least 2 patient identifiers for positive patient identification
1. Completes Electrocardiography theory and laboratory classes as evidence by satisfactory performance on unit examination and skills competency check offs.
2. Accurately interprets rhythm, rate and morphology of strips while on-the-job training.
• Enters patient data into cardiac monitoring system, assures location of patient and monitor coincide.
• Prepares and maintains patient record from admission to discharge through documentation of rhythm strips at predetermined intervals and with each change in rhythm.
• Communicates changes in cardiac rhythm, rate or morphology promptly to the primary care nurse and/or charge nurse.
• Recognizes need for and initiates Rapid Response / Code Blue timely and accurately.
• Maintains responsibility for monitoring equipment Manages unit supplies, activities, time, and other resources in a cost-effective manner to reduce waste and unnecessary expenditures.
• Follows infection control standards with telemetry packs.
• Assures telemetry hardware is cleaned and returned to assigned location.
Home Health Aide:
1. Completes Home Health Aide theory and laboratory classes as evidence by satisfactory performance on unit examination and skills competency check offs.
2. Assists in the patient/family care in the home health setting using established techniques with the multidisciplinary team during on-the-job training.
• Use verbal and written communications specific to home health aide.
• Demonstrate legal and ethical responsibilities specific to home health aide.
• Perform physical comfort and safety functions specific to home health aide.
• Provide personal patient care procedures.
• Apply principles of nutrition and infection control specific to home health aide.
• Provide bio-psycho-social support.
• Perform supervised management functions, following the patient plan of
• Assist with rehabilitative activities.
What You Will Need:
• Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• High School Diploma or GED
The Patient Care Technician Apprentice is someone who is under an apprenticeship training program which includes Nursing Assistant, Phlebotomy, Home Health, and Electrocardiograph program. The apprentice will be working under the supervision of the LPN and/or RN during the on-the-job training. All duties related to the patient care area will be carried out in accordance with the hospital mission, physician and patient expectation.
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.