Florida Hospital Orlando seeks to hire a Bone Marrow Transplant Nurse who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Florida Hospital Orlando Facility Profile
Located on a lush tropical campus, our flagship hospital, 1,107-bed Florida Hospital Orlando, serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America. Florida Hospital Orlando houses one of the largest Emergency Departments and largest cardiac catheterization labs in the country. We are already one of the busiest hospitals in the nation, providing service excellence to more than 32,000 inpatients and 125,000 outpatients each year.
The Bone Marrow Transplant Unit (BMTU) is a 16-bed unit dedicated to the care of patients undergoing treatment for leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma with high dose chemotherapy. BMTU specializes in the care of critically ill, adult patients, undergoing peripheral blood stem cell, Cord, and bone marrow transplant. Our program is FACT (Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy) accredited, validating the provision of excellent care to bone marrow transplant patients. We have a dedicated, engaged group of physicians and nurses and we utilize a multidisciplinary, collaborative approach to providing whole person care to ensure excellent outcomes for patients. Last year, in 2013, we performed 145 transplants and anticipate 150 transplants in 2014.
Full Time Nights; 7p-7a 3/12 hr shifts
*$10,000 Sign-on bonus and Relocation Allowance between $2,500 – $5,000 available for experienced external applicants
- As a BMT Registered Nurse, you will make providing service your priority while caring for the whole person in a faith-based atmosphere.
- The RN is a registered professional nurse who is responsible for providing and supervising direct and indirect total nursing care responsibilities to identified age specific groups. Utilizing the nursing process (assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating) in achieving the goals of the nursing department. For job class codes GRN and R120, graduates nurses and experienced nurses entering a training program will be under the direct supervision of a preceptor for all principal duties and responsibilities during the training program with eventual transition to independent practice after successful training program completion. Adheres to the Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state and federal agencies and accrediting bodies. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education and Experience Required
- American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- If certification is from another agency, certification from AHA must be obtained within 90 days of hire.
- AHA Advanced life support certification (ACLS, PALS, NRP) per specialty/unit requirements
- If certification is from another agency, certification from AHA must be obtained by 90 day evaluation.
- EKG, ACLS, PALS, NRP (based on patient population; See document EKG and Advanced Life Support Requirements) (preferred)
- Graduate of a school of nursing.
- For Graduate Registered Nurse (GRN), graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- For all job classes except GRN and R120, unit related experience is required for unit placement
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing (preferred)
Licensure, Certification or Registration Required
- Current registration with Florida State Board of Nursing as a registered professional nurse.
- Professional certification (preferred)
- Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program.
- NURSING PROCESS: Completes timely assessments per Practice Guidelines including physiological, psychological, developmental, sociocultural, spiritual and life-style factors, including signs of abuse or neglect. Makes appropriate decisions and interventions and nursing diagnosis according to patients actual or potential health conditions or needs. (American Nurses Association [ANA], 2012)
- NURSING PROCESS: Based on the assessment and diagnosis, sets measurable and achievable short and long-range goals for the patient (ANA, 2012), assisting in the development and implementation of an individualized plan of care. Prioritizes and completes follow up assessments, evaluates and modifies plan of care as need. Nursing practice reflects mutual goal setting and whole person care including meeting the needs of the mind, body and spirit. (King, 1995)
- NURSING KNOWLEDGE: Demonstrates the ability to assess and interpret diagnostic data relative to patient age and condition, including, but not limited to lab results, non-invasive monitoring data and interdisciplinary team notes. Nursing practice reflects the application of knowledge and skills pertaining to all diagnoses, procedures, medications, complications, and equipment associated with unit patient population.
- PATIENT SAFETY: Nursing practice reflects the application of knowledge, skill and adherence to all pertinent regulatory standards. Follows strict infection prevention precautions. Adheres to policy and procedure regarding all aspects of medication safety. Practice reflects importance of patient teaching and takes advantage of opportunities, both planned and unplanned, to carry it out in accordance with plan of care.
- COMMUNICATION: Promotes an exceptional patient experience by abiding to compassion and image standards and fostering excellent nurse-patient relationships through effective/therapeutic communication with the patient, family, and visitors, including but not limited to and as applicable, hourly rounding. Exhibits ability to utilize appropriate techniques, verbiage, and resources in all interactions with the patient to their level of understanding. Communicates effectively with interdisciplinary team by completing thorough hand off communication in all situations. Follows chain of command when appropriate.
- DOCUMENTATION: Demonstrates knowledge and skill in the recording and accessing of all patient information in electronic medical record according to policy and in real time. Performs appropriate and legible documentation, recording all procedures and assessments within established timeframes, and in accordance with standards of care, departmental policy and practice guidelines.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Abides by American Nurses Association Scope, Standards and Code of Ethics. Participates in practice changes, process improvement initiatives and completes all required education by the due date. Supports quality standards and initiatives set by the department. Exhibits desire to learn, teach, mentor and advance nursing skills.
- RELIEF CHARGE NURSE (as applicable): Under the supervision of a manager, assumes authority of the daily operations of the unit/department and is the primary resource nurse for a specific shift. Manages staff accountability and adherence to regulatory requirements. The leadership responsibility includes but is not limited to facilitation of the team dynamics of patient care, patient experience and patient flow including managing staff assignments. Additional management responsibilities include effective conflict resolution, patient/staff rounding and communication, resource utilization, comprehensive hand off communication and completion of unit specific audits/checklists as required or assigned.
*Hiring Incentive Details:
- RN must have at least 1 year of recent unit related experience
- Must live outside 50 mile radius from 601 East Rollins Dr., Orlando, FL
- Rehires that are less than 12 months from separation date are NOT eligible
- Full Time 18 month employment contract with hiring unit required (Candidates that leave Florida Hospital prior to completion of the contract owe back the full amount received. Transfers to other departments will forfeit any unpaid amounts.)
- Relocation allowance is based on location zone assignment
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the BMT Registered Nurse opportunity with Florida Hospital Orlando and apply online today.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!!